28 September, 2005

Labyrinths and emergency planning measures

Just got back from a hellish trip to Antwerp. My Dutch passport has expired and I had to go to the consulate to renew it. That building is absolutely impossible to find! The street it's on actually stops in two different places and resumes several streets further up!

Which brings me to my newest conspiracy theory: I'm thinking this is a very effective way for Minister Verdonk to weed out foreigners seeking Dutch nationality. Only the bravest and strongest (or luckiest) actually find their way through the maze of one-way streets and dead ends that is Antwerp. Darwin would be proud, actually!

S just asked me point blank what I would do if I ever found a giant squid in the bathroom. I have to admit that one stumped me. If any of you have any suggestions I would be grateful-- it can't hurt to be prepared.

1 comment:

Goofball said...

Hi Betsy,

I completely randomly landed on your blog and have fun reading a bit on it during lunch time. Your kid's remarks can really puzzle me to and give me a big smile on my face. At this giant squid thing in the bath tub (sept 2005) I actually chuckled out loud so I had to explain my boss why. Here's his suggestion: he'd offer the squid some cups of coffee.

Hmm his logic seems quite weird to me to, but here you go. A suggestion from complete strangers in Belgium :)

Ellen