06 September, 2005

Back to school (and a mini-vacation!)

School started on September 1st. S. was very nervous about first grade and all of the new expectations everyone has for him. It's scary for him that there are no toys in the classroom and that he's expected to sit still for long periods. But then yesterday he came home with his workbooks and proudly showed me everything he'd been working on. Have a feeling that this transition won't last very long.

B., however, was estatic! He could barely contain himself-- he was clapping and dancing and mauling his best friend.

Soccer season has started again and I'm trying to morph back into a soccer mom. Never did quite get the hang of it last year-- does one need special shoes or a different mindset? At the moment it's no problem because it gives me an excuse to be outside but think I'll be whistling a different tune when the notorious Belgian autumn strikes.

We went camping in Groningen this weekend. Drove up to meet my parents-in-law and spent a lot of time hiking in the area and just generally relaxing. I actually came back feeling refreshed! We've been getting so bogged down under the stress of everything and really needed to get away! I love getting back to basics-- told a friend at work yesterday that I wished my life could be one long camping trip. He was kind and didn't say anything but I think I'm just reinforcing my reputation as an eccentric about the office.

S. has been pondering marriage a lot lately. (between people he knows and even with family pets!??) And yesterday he came up with this postulate: If you're going to marry someone you should probably ask them first, otherwise the wedding will be a surprise...


Final picture says it all-- Michiel and boys plot to compose the perfect first-day-of-school picture. What do you include? Both boys, backpacks, dog and 300 C Touring, of course!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved it all, Bets. The boys are absolutely gorgeous. V. amused by S's marriage comment. Have to say he has a point. Impressed and envious of the car; you know my love of cars! New to "bogs" (in Australia and NZ it can mean a toilet) but think it's great.
Anne