02 June, 2009

If only...

Just got back from vacation and found out that M's cousin, C, is going downhill fast. He fell unconscious yesterday and was so near death that his parents called his sisters and brother to his bedside to say goodbye.

Yesterday evening, however, he rallied briefly and suddenly woke up. When he saw the faces of everyone gathered around him he said: "It's like everyone's expecting something of me and I don't know what to do." And his mom said: "A smile would be enough." And he answered: "I left my last smile for you in the freezer next to the frozen lasagna."

The world is losing a beautiful, funny, wonderful human being...

9 comments:

anno said...

Dear Betsy, this really hurts. I'm so sorry to think of what the loss of his hopes and dreams and remarkable humor means to everyone in his life. My heartfelt sympathies to all of you.

christina said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry! He sounds like such a fine, spirited young man and I'm sure he will be dearly missed.

Goofball said...

Oh Betsy, I feel your sadness. I wish the reality was different than it is. If only...

All my sympathies to your family!

Jen said...

Oh, Betsy, I'm so, so sad.

I'm glad he can muster humor.

My father had a similar thought when he briefly rallied, shortly before dying.

My love goes out to you and your family.

Carol said...

Betsy,

My mother did this a few days before she died. She had been so near death and then she was suddenly (more) lucid and we got her back for an hour... and she talked about all kinds of things -- a little bizarre (like smiles in the freezer), but still connecting with us -- which seemed to exhaust her and she fell into her final state of unconsciousness then and died 3 days later.

Consider the brief lucidity a gift.

I am SO sorry!

Carol

africakidandtheworld said...

It's so hard, isn't it.
But I love that he can still joke at a moment like that!
Sending prayers and hugs your way.

Betsy said...

Thanks so much for your warm, thoughtful comments, everyone! This is that extra dimension that makes writing a blog so rewarding.

Acedog said...

"I left my last smile for you in the freezer next to the frozen lasagna." This line is like a line from a Neruda poem. What a bright light this individual must be, and the world will be a shade darker without him.

Betsy said...

You're right, Greg, I thought it was very poetic too!